Page 6 sur 6 PremièrePremière ... 456
Affichage des résultats 51 à 56 sur 56

Discussion: La banlieue l'emporte à Toronto

Banned

Par défaut La banlieue l'emporte à Toronto

Ford widens lead in Toronto mayoral race: poll
    Last Updated: Thursday, August 12, 2010 | 5:19 PM ET
    CBC News

Toronto Coun. Rob Ford has widened his lead in the mayoral race, according to a new public opion poll. Toronto Coun. Rob Ford has widened his lead in the mayoral race, according to a new public opion poll. (CBC)

A new public opinion poll suggests that maverick councillor Rob Ford's campaign for mayor of Toronto has struck a deep chord with voters.

Among decided voters Ford's lead in the race is widening, according to the results of a survey done by Pollstra Research of Hamilton, Ont.

The city councillor's message in the campaign has been one of fiscal restraint — saying if he is elected he will cut the wasteful spending at city hall.

"Toronto has a spending problem, not a revenue problem," he says on his website.

The poll results released Wednesday show nearly 38 per cent of those who have made up their minds say they will vote for Ford on Oct. 25.

George Smitherman — Ford's nearest rival — has the overall support of about 29 per cent.

For Ford it means a jump of more than seven per cent in voter support since June, while support for Smitherman, Coun. Joe Pantalone and Sarah Thomson has remained flat.

"I find the results are a little surprising," said Josh Justice, president of the polling company, in a telephone interview with CBC News. "There has been a noticeable shift in momentum."

The poll shows the lion's share of Ford's support comes from the outside the old City of Toronto , with his strongest showing in the former municipalities of York, Scarborough, North York and especially on his home turf of Etobicoke.

Smitherman leads the polls in the City of Toronto and East York.

The Pollstra poll also asked the 432 respondents for their voting preference in federal politics —

and the results show Ford's appeal stretches across party lines.

Not surprisingly Ford has an enormous lead among Conservative supporters, with 65.7 per cent of those voters saying they intend to vote for him. The next closest candidate is Sarah Thomson with 11.6 per cent.

Surprisingly Ford also leads with Liberal supporters, although the margin of error puts him in a virtual tie with Smitherman, the former Ontario Liberal cabinet minister.

Among Liberals, 36.8 per cent of those surveyed say they would vote for Ford. Smitherman has the backing of 34.2 per cent.

When it comes to NDP supporters, deputy mayor Pantalone comes out on top with 36 per cent and Smitherman places second with 32 per cent. But 20 per cent of NDP supporters say they will vote for Ford.

The undecided vote also appears to be shrinking. While still at 32 per cent, Justice says it is not unusual to have that percentage at this stage in the election.

"It's kind of where we would put it," he said, pointing out that the number of undecided has dropped since June.

"Two-thirds have decided who they will support," Justice said.

The polling firm said the survey was commissioned by a non-partisan research group and carried out between July 30 and Aug. 5. The margin of error is 3.8 per cent 19 times out of 20.

Voting Intentions

Rob Ford 37.6%

George Smitherman 28.7%

Joe Pantalone 15.5%

Sarah Thomson 10.3%

Rocco Rossi 7.9%
    Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...#ixzz0wXCBUy1b

Rob Ford blew the whistle on all the free perks available to Toronto city councilors:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dDfr89eRd0

This is exactly the kind of mayor Montreal needed. Too bad.

Par défaut

You can tell Cherry is starting to lose it. He's become senile!
    Daddy Likes It Dirty!
    Veni, vidi, vici!
    Faith is belief in the absence of evidence.
    GO HABS GO

Par défaut

"I’m wearing pinko for for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything"

Toronto city hall should be renamed to "Hall of douchebags". I'm all for bringing things to the right (especially from a fiscal perspective), but this is just pathetic.

Look at Einstein.... f'ing commie!

"My life needs editing..."

Par défaut

Citation Envoyé par Habsfan Voir le message
    You can tell Cherry is starting to lose it. He's become senile!
    What do you mean, he was like that when he was 16... it's Don Cherry

I mean doesn't anyone watch Hockey Night or what?

some people just go apoplectic when he says anything though...

In January 2004, on the subject of visors, Cherry said on Coach's Corner: "Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French guys" to illustrate his claim that visor users have less respect for player safety. This statement triggered an investigation by the federal Official Languages Commissioner, and protests by French-Canadians. CBC consequently imposed a seven-second delay on Hockey Night in Canada. Later on, a study was published that proved Cherry to be partially correct: 50% of Europeans and 40% of French-Canadians wore visors, compared to 22% of North Americans born outside of Quebec, but players who wear visors committed proportionately fewer high-sticking penalties than players who do not.[16]
    On December 7, 2010. Cherry attended the inaugural meeting of Toronto City Council after putting the chain of office around Mayor Rob Ford's Neck. Cherry was asked to say a few Remarks. In his remarks, Cherry opened by stating “I’m wearing pink for all the pinkos out there that ride bicycles and everything, I thought I’d get it in.” He then went on to state that he had "been ripped to shreds by the left-wing pinko newspapers out there" He ended his speech by saying "And that's why I say he's gonna be the greatest mayor this city has ever, ever seen, as far as I'm concerned! And put that in your pipe, you left-wing kooks." This statement caused controversy afterwards, Councillor Paula Fletcher stated that Cherry's remarks were "embarrassing for the largest city in the country." Councillor Joe Mihevc stated that "We all love Don Cherry and his comments and forcefulness in hockey games, but this is council. It’s a political arena where we make it a habit to reach out, talk to others and achieve consensus. To have that kind of, frankly, belligerence and pushing people aside, to start out this way I think is really unfortunate.” Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong defended Cherry though he stated that it was "A little over the top" and that "You take it for what it is and you shrug it off and move forward." Cherry defended his comments by stating “Well, what can I tell you?, Don’t invite me. You don’t invite a pit bull. If you want a pit bull, you get a pit bull.”[20]
    Citation Envoyé par identifiant Voir le message

Toronto city hall should be renamed to "Hall of douchebags".
    I think we could rename many city halls to "hall of douchebags"...
    Dernière modification par Cyrus ; 08/12/2010 à 22h08.
    So live this day that you can look every damn man straight in the eye and tell him to go to hell.

Par défaut

Rob Ford’s approval rating at 70%: poll

Megan O'Toole May 5, 2011 – 12:31 PM ET | Last Updated: May 5, 2011 6:13 PM ET

Dozens of media cameras jockeyed for position as Mayor Rob Ford, smiling and squinting into the sunlight, stepped off a bus in the city’s east end Thursday.

“Lovely day today,” he observed, launching into an impromptu meet-and-greet with a group of special-needs residents gathered outside Variety Village on Danforth Avenue. What does a mayor do, one young woman asked?

“Meeting and meetings. Return a lot of phone calls,” Mr. Ford riffed, before launching into his official business: unveiling a new bus stop outside the fitness and life skills facility.

This sort of announcement, on its own, would not typically draw such a media horde, but this was Mr. Ford’s first availability since the federal election, and reporters eagerly sought his opinion on everything from the so-called Ford Effect to a recent poll pinning his approval rating at 70%.

Days before the election, Mr. Ford publicly endorsed Prime Minister Stephen Harper, hailing the Conservative leader as the only alternative to a “tax and spend” regime. He repeated his praise Thursday, but denied “Ford Nation” had any impact on the election results, which saw Greater Toronto embrace Conservatives.

“I can’t take credit for that,” Mr. Ford said. “The people voted the way they thought. I’d just give Mr. Harper credit for keeping taxes down, and he fulfilled his promises… I’m sure the next four years are going to be very beneficial to the people and the taxpayers of this city.”

Mr. Ford said he looks forward to a “great working relationship” with Ottawa, particularly since Toronto is now represented by a slew of Conservative MPs.

The Mayor was also riding high on the results of a new poll indicating six months after he swept to victory, 70% of respondents in Greater Toronto approve of his overall performance.

The Ipsos Public Affairs survey of 913 residents, conducted last month for the Toronto Real Estate Board, found three-quarters support Mr. Ford’s pledge to repeal the land transfer tax, and 65% believe council is managing tax dollars appropriately.

Two key factors were at play in the results, pollster John Wright said.

“Most people believe that there have been lots of wrong-headed decisions at City Hall, and the second thing is that it’s overstaffed,” he said. “When you line those two things up and you go to Rob Ford’s campaign, which was about gravy train and value for taxpayers’ money, the fact that he’s taken action on a number of things, including the TTC, has registered in this poll.”

Opposition to eliminating the land transfer tax was significantly higher in the downtown core, where voters overwhelmingly rejected Mr. Ford at the polls. A similar split was evident in a question on perceived causes for the shortfall between city revenues and expenditures; downtown voters were more likely than their suburban counterparts to fault inadequate taxation, while both groups pointed to waste, inefficiencies and a bloated civil service.

“The issue here is not so much any political person who is the opponent,” Mr. Wright said. “The opponent is City Hall itself.”

Asked what areas should receive the most attention in an ongoing city review of services, more than three-quarters of respondents selected downsizing of city staff through attrition, more public-private partnerships, contracting out selected services and eliminating city agencies.

The poll, conducted online between April 18 and 26, is considered accurate to within plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Mr. Ford said he was “humbled” by the results, but would not predict whether his approval numbers may drop, as some critics suggested, once he begins finding “efficiencies” to fill a glaring $700-million budget hole next year.

“All I know is I’m going to events, I’m returning people’s phone calls, I’m watching every single dime that’s being spent out of City Hall,” Mr. Ford said. “I’m doing what I said I’m going to do.”
    http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpr...ford.jpg?w=620

Par défaut

Seems like his popularity is increasing as he is in office, a rare feat, and hopefully one that continues. Give the people what they want!
    So live this day that you can look every damn man straight in the eye and tell him to go to hell.

Par défaut

Il a été destitué par la cour supérieure. Il n'y a pas seulement au Québec que la politique municipale est malade.
    MtlUrb self-proclaimed technical advisor

Les tags pour cette discussion

Règles de messages